Sunday, August 2, 2009

Muriwai Gannet Colony, NZ

No time to get out again this weekend, so something more from the "archive". During some spare time on a business trip to Auckland, I decided to head across to the west coast about 45 minutes from Auckland city, to Muriwai. There is a gannetry here, and it is a wonderful place. The rock stack is very close to the mainland, and there are two viewpoints overlooking the colony. I was there on a very breezy, showery day, and spent almost three hours there in the end. I found it very difficult to drag myself away. It is a magical place, seeing these majestic birds float by almost close enough to touch!! I'll leave the photos to tell the rest of the story.

6 comments:

  1. We get Northern Gannets up here off the coast of Massachusetts. They are a treat to photograph. Thanks for taking us along. It looks like yours has a different tail and wing pattern than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely majestic...need we say any more.
    FAB shots Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like a sea colony is there Tony?! Great shots you got. I love the unusual opportunity of looking down on birds flying that you get with this type of birding. I'm not surprised you had trouble tearing yourself away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Steve and Frank, It's a great place and one I'd love to get back to.
    Thanks Jen, yes there IS something about a seabird colony. Did you ever get to Handa in NW Scotland? If not, make it a priority - It's an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the first photo you can see that the birds have achieved a mix of hexagonal and pentagonal packing; I suppose in an effort to get the most nests in a given area, yet maintain a certain minimum distance between them. Very clever birds! And beautiful, too. Thanks for posting your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Wilma, yes, I guess it's all a matter of staying out of pecking distance!!

    ReplyDelete