Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Belair National Park

This evening, Maryann and I spent some time at Belair National Park. Belair is only a short 20 minute drive from Adelaide City Centre and is the former estate of the Governor General. It is a combination of native bush, open parkland and has an abundance of sporting and barbecue facilities. I had my compact camera with me, so I decided to take a few photos while we were here. Our first stop was at Playford Lake, the only standing water in the park. There were a few ducks here, and also a couple of Noisy Miners. This is a honeyeater, and not related to the mynahs of Asia. We then took a slow drive along the valley, pausing first for this striking gum tree, and then for a big old Koala slowly making his way up another eucalypt. The far end of the valley is open parkland, and usually a few parrots can be found along the way. Eastern Rosellas are very timid, and I have still to get a decent photo of one. Galahs on the other hand are happy to stay put as long as you don't get too close. You can differentiate the male and female here. (I gave a clue in an earlier post). As we headed home, I spotted this pretty big termite mound, and also saw a couple of Grey Currawongs dart accross the road. (The photo is from an earlier visit)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tony Interesting post with some great images, the park seems an ideal place to while away a few hours.Great pics with the compact, I run a Canon G10 here for the last few months, and still trying to get my head around it. Some days brilliant images another absolute rubbish. Still never to old to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monty, Glad you liked it. Belair is a lovely place. I am using a Canon Powershot A720IS - Gives pretty consistent results, but frustrating if I see birds I want to photograph!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely place, Tony. Your images are great, although I do understand your frustration with not having your "real" camera for the birds! cheers,
    Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wilma, Thanks, glad you are enjoying my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely set of photos Tony. Those Currawongs are such powerful looking birds. I don't recall, are they similar in habits to our Carrion Crows (opportunistic scavengers)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen, Thanks. They are omnivores, but not so dependant on carrion and the corvids. They will take nestlings though so do get mobbed by nesting birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice spot. It it easy to find Koalas there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mosura. Yes, I have a 100% record there. It is THE spot I take any visitors to for Koala.
    Always seen at the far end of the valley.

    ReplyDelete