Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Herons

Those of you that know me will know that my favourite bird family is the herons. My house is called Ardea, and my e-mail address is a heron. I am fascinated by their grace, their patience and their speed. They vary in size from the huge Goliath Heron of Africa to the tiny Least Bittern of the Americas. I am fortunate to have travelled widely and have enjoyed watching herons all over the world. Please enjoy these heron images. Some of them go right back to my digiscoping days with an old Nikon Coolpix. Black bittern - Sri Lanka Cattle Egret - Australia Eastern Reef Egret - Australia Great Blue Heron - USA Great Egret - Australia Great-billed Heron - Australia Green Heron - USA Intermediate Egret - Australia Little Egret - UK Pacific Heron - Australia Rufous Night Heron - Australia White-faced Heron - Australia Yellow Bittern - Sri Lanka Yellow-crowned Night Heron - USA

12 comments:

  1. Lovely collection of great photos. Im rather fond of herons myself too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herontasic Tony! I remember being blown away by all the Heron/Egrets when I birded Florida! You can't beat a Yellow-crowned Night Heron I think. Was going to ask you about the stunning new header and then found I'd missed a posting! DUH! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neil, Welcome to my blog. Glad you liked the photos.
    Hi Jen. Yes, Texas was the same for me. Doing this page showed me I have some holes in my collection of images - like no pics of Grey Heron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic shots Tony,top notch photography.
    John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb series of OUR favourite species. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks John, Glad you enjoyed them.
    Hi Frank. They do seem to be a favourite with many birders. I find them fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED this post. I am fascinated by herons too and enjoy studying them. We have Great Blue herons here in Cincy and a few others, but there are a bigger variety in South Carolina and Florida. I can't wait until early June when i'll be able to spend some time watching them when I'm on my vacation down south!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly. Thank you! My only birding trip to the US was to Texas and we saw a huge variety of herons there. Tops for me was a white morph Reddish Egret -dancing around in the sea - sadly I didn't get any decent pics of him. My trip report for Texas is here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is an impressive line up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Steve, nice to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Herons are such graceful, wonderful birds. Thanks for showing a whole array of them; I did not know there were so many different ones.
    In our garden stands a huge Araucaria Cunninghamia; since many years a Heron couple make their nest high up. They usually bring up one baby; but I always only see one adult bird.
    Our small ponds seem to be an instant cuisine, goldfish are on the menu. They also use the tree as a sleeping place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Titania. I am so glad you enjoyed this post. I really enjoyed putting it together. thanks for visiting, and I hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete