Saturday, February 27, 2010

Penang - Part 1

OK, I know I'm on honeymoon, but I have managed a little birding here and there. The gardens around the resort we are staying in are beautifully kept, and there are always a few birds around. The most common by far are Tree Sparrow and Common Mynah. Off to one side of the garden is a huge Flame of the Forest which is covered in large red flowers. One of the first birds I saw3 here was a Coppersmith Barbet, which was feeding young in a nesthole in the bottom of one of the lower branches. Also in the tree was Black-naped Oriole, Asian Glossy Starling and Yellow-vented Bulbul. In another tree was a single Common Tailorbird, and an Oriental Magpie-robin, and there is regularly a White-breasted Kingfisher around the garden. There were also lots of House Crows picking up any scraps they could find

4 comments:

  1. What a super selection of species and colours to add to your special holiday. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tony! There's only one bird you should be looking at right now!!! (-: Love that Barbet, that's a stonker! Having told you off, I will now wait eagerly for part two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys. I promise I am taking my honeymoon duties very seriously. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a fantastic sellection of Birds,love the Barbet.
    Fab photography.
    Cya, John.

    ReplyDelete