Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Goolwa

Yesterday we took a trip to Goolwa on the Fleurieu Peninsular, just south of Adelaide. We took the car onto the beach and drove towards the mouth of the Murray River. I stopped a couple of times. First for a some Sooty Oystercatchers, and then a small group of Banded Stilts. The stilts were all sub-adult, with some just beginning to show the chest band. Lunch was Fish and Chips by the River, and as usual a group of Silver Gulls turned up to share, but there was an interloper in this group. He's pretty easy to spot A Little Corella We then headed down the coast road towards Coorong National Park. I saw some Sharp=tailed Sandpipers, a Little Raven, ever present Australian Pelicans and Great Egrets, and a group of terns. Highlight for me was watching this young Royal Spoonbill chasing after Mum for a feed, which he eventually got. Finally, it was really windy on the beach, with sand and seedheads blowing everywhere. I new some debris was blowing across while I was photographing the oystercatchers, but didn't realise I had got this shot until I got home.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, Goolwa has one of the best fish& chip shops I know and nothing better than watching the sunset over the river while munching away.
    Glad to see the sooty oyster catchers are still there. It is the one place I know of that one can usually see a few or a small flock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous shore birds. Looks like you all had a great day of it and wow fish and chips for lunch along the sea... sounds heavenly right now. Our temp is 13' with windchill and an icey light snow. Winter has arrived~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tony Great set of images and a lot of species , looked like a great day out.

    ReplyDelete