Tuesday, May 23, 2017

UK Birding - Devon and Cornwall

While I was staying with Mum in Plymouth I did some birding in Devon and Cornwall.  Mum is only a few minutes from the edge of Dartmoor, so that is a regular pre-breakfast spot.  A favourite spot of mine is Shaugh Bridge. This is a regular location for Dipper and Grey Wagtail.  No Dippers this time, but I did see some Mandarin Ducks here.



Higher on the moor there are always lots of Yellowhammers, Stonechats and Robins.




I also spotted this very newly born Dartmoor Pony foal with is mother.

In the oak woodland, the summer migrants, (Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler), were back, but proved impossible to photograph.  Easier were the Coal Tit and Nuthatch.


I checked Aylesbeare Common for Dartford Warbler, and almost stepped on this Adder sunning itself on the path (Apologies for the quality - my camera had switched settings).  I did eventually see some Dartford Warblers foraging low in the gorse.


Common in the hedgerows, Dunnock is also known as Hedge Sparrow.  Herring Gulls are everywhere, and are becoming a nuisance in some cities.


A day in Cornwall produced some good birding, with Whimbrel, Little Egrets, always flighty Shelduck, Pied Wagtails, Rock Pipit, Common Whitethroat and Northern Gannets amongst the birds seen and photographed.






No comments:

Post a Comment