Friday, May 26, 2017

UK Birding - Norfolk

My final birding was a couple of days in Norfolk. The weather was awful, so I headed for the RSPB reserve at Titchwell as I knew it had plenty of hides for shelter.  The feeding station outside the visitor centre was pretty busy, and amongst the usual finches and tits were a Jay, a very bright Pheasant and Blackbird



From the hides there were Avocets with chicks, Black-tailed Godwits, Shelduck and Common Teal.





There had been some Dotterels seen on the farmland behind the reserve, but all I could find were a pair of Grey Partridge.

On my way back to London, I called in to the Norfolk Wildlife Trust reserve at Weeting Heath.  It was sad to see how the habitat had deteriorated, and the only birds of any interest were on the feeders and in the pond.  The list included Goldfinch, Great Tit, Yellowhammer, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush and Robin. Barn Swallows were looking for nest sites in the visitor centre there







Last stop was the RSPB reserve at Lakenheath Fen.  Last time I was here there were no visitor facilities at all, and 14 pairs of the rare Golden Oriole breeding here.  This time lots of new pools, hides and a big visitor centre, but the Orioles have gone.  Somehow I think the priorities here are a bit out of kilter.  There were a few Hobbies on the reserve as well as a Marsh Harrier and lots of Great Crested Grebes.


No comments:

Post a Comment