Monday, May 22, 2017

UK Birding - Summer Leys LNR

Whilst in the UK I did manage to go birding a few times. The first place I visited was Summer Leys Local Nature Reserve, on the River Nene at Earls Barton near Northampton.  This is one of my favourite spots in Northampton, and the last time I was here was in 2008.

I settled into the hide, and immediately noticed a pair of Mediterranean Gulls on the island in front of me.  Once a rarity, these gulls are becoming increasingly common now.

The Black-headed Gulls were busy collecting nesting material, and the Common Terns were already on eggs.


Other common birds were Woodpigeon, Mute Swan and Grey Heron.



There is a feeding station on the reserve that used to have a resident population of rare Tree Sparrows, but these have not been seen here for a few years now.


The most numerous bird here was Bullfinch, along with Chaffinch, and Blue Tit.




As usual, the local Grey Squirrels are quick to take advantage of a free feed, as are the Magpies.

No comments:

Post a Comment