Sunday, July 30, 2017

Letter-winged Kite and Spotted Harrier

The other day, I went for a drive through the area ravaged by the Pinery bushfire in late 2015. The area is regenerating well, and is looking great at the moment. Following a bumper cropping season, there is also a mouse plague in the area, and consequently an influx of birds of prey.

I had heard there was a pair of Letter-winged Kites, a rare irruptive species in this part of South Australia.  The plan for the morning was to search these out, and then look for any other raptors before an approaching storm hit the area.

A couple of birding friends were also out that way, and I soon had a message to say that they had located them, only one road away from where I was looking.

As I arrived, one of the kites was flying around.  It soon settled in a tree, with a mouse in its talons. after a while the other bird also flew in and settled close to its mate.  







By this time it was getting late, so I made a quick tour around some of the nearby roads, where I saw a juvenile Spotted Harrier from a fair distance.  I managed a few shots, but they are heavily cropped.



No comments:

Post a Comment